This post is also available in: Italian
I walk away leaving on a journey towards the unknown, infinite spaces and beyond. America of paved roads is the destination in the middle of nowhere between skies and deserts in search of adventures looking for a person or themselves, or a project.
Who of you in life has never thought about it at least once?
It is not always possible. Character, conventions, commitments are obstacles that can prevent us from making the journey, but our mind must NEVER stop dreaming and being free. So what better way to live a trip on the road even with thought?
Reading books, Reading books.
The power of literature is enormous. Near the bed, I always have 3 or 4 books, all started and some still never finished, as if I wanted to leave the ending open to my imagination.
I made a selection of authors and novels. What do you think?
- On the Road by Jack Kerouac. A timeless story. The “on the road” becomes a metaphor for life in search of something that does not exist. It is not important where to go but to go in search of freedom and an inner self. A novel, symbol of the beat generation and to be read all in one breath. Go to the book: 📖
- Travels with Charley by John Steinback. “My plan was clear, concise, and reasonable, I think. For many years I have traveled in many parts of the world. In America, I live in New York or dip into Chicago or San Francisco. But New York is no more America than Paris is France or London is England. Thus I discovered that I didn’t know my own country. ” On a caravan with Charlie, the poodle, Steinbeck begins his journey on the road along Route 66. Go to the book: 📖
- Into the Wild by Jon Krakauer. Into the wild is the title of the film directed by Sean Penn that brings the original story of the book to the big screen. The protagonist, a young man 22 years old, skipped the whole thing and started his journey as a nomad to the great North in search of himself. After two years he arrives in Alaska where the wild and uncontaminated nature makes him understand the true meaning of life. Happiness does not like material things. Eddie Vedder has composed the music for the film with tracks like Society. One of my favorite songs that we listen to when we are around. Go to the book: 📖
- Wild by Cheryl Strayed. An extreme journey of rebirth. The protagonist with a life destroyed by mourning and heroin undertakes on foot a part of the Pacific Crest Trail for a full 1100 miles through the Mojave Desert, California, Oregon up to the State of Washington. An intimate and existential journey that leads her to find a new self. A story that inspired the film Wild released in 2014 and starring Reese Witherspoon. Go to the book: 📖
- Walden by Henry David Thoreau. «I went into the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what I had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived. I did not wish to live what was not life, living is so dear; I wanted to live deep and suck out all the marrow of life…” The novel was written during the author’s life experience in a forest of Lake Walden in Massachusetts that has become a symbol of the American nonconventional culture . Go to the book: 📖
- Fear and loathing in Las VegasbyHunter S. Thompson. A wild journey to the city of Las Vegas, capital of gambling and perverse American conformism. The two protagonists under the effect of every type of heavy drug tell of a reality transformed by their hallucinations with bizarre and surreal descriptions. Go to the book: 📖
- Roughing it by Mark Twain. Seventy-nine chapters that are each a small novel in search of the frontier of the West, among coyotes, breathtaking landscapes, gunslingers and remains of caravans. Mark leaves with his brother Orion to Nevada. It is 1861. Every story full of humor makes us capture the pungent wild scent of America. Go to the book: 📖
- USA Coast to Coast by Mauro Buffa. It starts from New York in Greyhound with destination San Francisco through Chicago and New Orleans. He took a classic route by bus. A different vision of the journey where the bus stations become a family place from where he starts and arrives. Mauro is a contemporary writer who tells about America with a meticulous and exciting focus on the familiar people and the environments he visits. A faithful mirror of today’s America. Go to the book 📖
- Viaggio in America by Orianna Fallaci. The Florentine journalist tells us with her Tuscan sixties American humor of scathing criticism and hidden passions. From the modern and exciting New York life to the dreary days spent by the pool in Los Angeles, to the road trip in the company of actress Shirley MacLaine, from Virginia to California via Las Vegas and the Wild West. Go to the book 📖
- God Save Texas by Lawrence Wright. A journey into the soul of the lone star State. Pulitzer Prize May 2018, is the story of a trip through the clichés of this S
tatethat is the largest in the United States after Alaska, more populous after California and with a more productive economy than Canada. This time we are not talking about an on the road in search of the self but of the future of America. By reviewing all the clichés on Texas, from speech to country ballads to sexism and homophobia, we discover that it is America that Trump wants to create. Go to the book: 📖
Enjoy your reading!
If you have any other novels that I haven’t mentioned in the genre, please comment. Thank you
➡️ The Road Is Life ⬅️
I drop everything and go. Yuri and I left on December 27th, 2017 aboard American Pie, our Airstream trailer. We plan to cross all 50 of the United States of America. Follow us.